DMR completed a feasibility study, followed by the conversion of a 340,000 square foot existing building into a county facility for the Hudson County Improvement Authority.
The building, which had existed on the 16-acre site since 1928, was once the national headquarters for Block Drug, a company which developed, manufactured and marketed pharmaceutical and household products.
The building was renovated to serve various county departments including the sheriff, 911 center, Rutgers Cooperative, Department of Family Services, county clerk, county registrar, veterans’ affairs, Superintendent of Elections, Board of Elections, Board of Taxation, Division of Road and Public Property and the Division of Community Development, as well as shared spaces. The building also included a new, county-operated chest clinic.
This major relocation was part of the county’s plan for increased consolidation and efficiency in providing services to the Hudson County community. The county had previously leased spaces for its departments throughout the county. The building was designed to support the neighborhood, as exterior improvements included a small public park, widened sidewalks, new landscaping and new bus stops.