Since 2011, DMR has worked for the City of Hackensack as their downtown urban design, planning and redevelopment consultant. In this capacity, DMR developed the Downtown Rehabilitation Plan for the Main Street Area, a strategic plan to revitalize the downtown district over the next 5 to 10 years. The overall plan encompasses more than 163 acres on 39 city blocks. The plan includes requirements for new zoning, circulation, parking and design standards for new and existing buildings in the downtown area.
A few of the successes of the rehabilitation plan seen in the City include the beginning of the two-way street conversion of Main Street; the completion of Atlantic Street Park, an outdoor park/amphitheater and the adjacent Hackensack Cultural and Performing Arts Center; and the opening/anticipated openings of more than 2,000 new residential units which represent the first developments in the downtown in more than 30 years.
DMR continues to work as the city’s redevelopment consultant for all projects related to the continuing redevelopment in Hackensack. These efforts have included:
- The oversight and management of the traffic study to convert Main Street to two-way; a public parking system study; and complete streets ordinance;
- The implementation of redevelopment website and marketing efforts; a streamlined development pre-application process; the review of development applications; and professional testimony;
- Coordination with state and government agencies, including NJ Transit and NJDOT, as well as private developers to further advance development projects;
- Designation as a Transit Village, only the second in the State surrounding a bus station;
- The disposition of City property for redevelopment;
- More than 25 rehabilitation/redevelopment plans for potential projects, which include the oversight of architectural and streetscape design standards. This role also requires the management of the pre-application review process for all architectural and site related requirements, and grant applications.
The project received a Smart Growth Award from New Jersey Future.